About a year and a half ago Ryan and I made the decision to begin using essential oils. There are hundreds of blog posts describing why and how families use essential oils, but today’s post is about how our favorites have changed the way we go about our day to day lives. Over the past eighteen months, we have purchased nearly $750 worth of oils to build up a collection of oils that we can use for eating, cleaning, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. While this number may seem huge to you (it sure sounds massive to my budget savvy brain), keep in mind that in the past eighteen months neither of us have spent a cent on sunscreens, bug sprays, skin treatments, or prescription medications. In addition, we have spent very little on cleaning and beauty products. Most of the bottles are still nearly full and will not need to be replaced for years. Long-term, this is going to save us some money.
The other morning I opened up my medicine cabinet and was mind blown at the amount of oils we had inside. It’s incredible that we are able to better our daily life with natural treatments.
In today’s post, I’m sharing with you the nine oils (plus two bonus, woohoo) that we use nearly every day. These are the oils we can’t live without and would totally recommend our family and friends to give a try. Here they go!
- Melaleuca – Melaleuca or tea tree is an oil that we use as a “catch-all”. We’ve utilized this oil as a spot treatment for acne or cuts, on dry scalps, and even to help soothe a headache. In addition every week (or month, whatever) I use it when cleaning my makeup brushes by swirling the brushes in a warm cup of water and Meleluca oil. This one has a very earthy scent that Ryan doesn’t dig, but personally, I love.
- Peppermint- Peppermint oil was one of the first essential oils I ever purchased and is still one that we use daily here in the Bolte house. Whenever I have a late night of work, I love placing a drop of this oil in a cup of hot chocolate. I find it invigorating (and insanely delicious). But it also seems to be my answer to any digestive issue we might encounter. Bloated? Drink some peppermint. Heartburn? Have a drop of peppermint. Long drive has Ryan carsick? Peppermint. Migraine coming on? Peppermint. Upset stomach? Peppermint. Craving a refreshing little drink? Peppermint. We find ourselves smelling or consuming this oil every day. In fact, I have a small bottle of it hidden in my purse so I can sneak a drop of it on my tongue any time it’s needed.
- Grapefruit – You’ve all probably heard about how eating grapefruits can boost your metabolism and assist in weight loss. Grapefruit oil has been shown to do similar things. I’ve found grapefruit to suppress my appetite and especially cut back on cravings for sweets. On “good days” I’ll drink a cup of water with a few drops of this before heading into work where there is bound to be muffins, cookies, and sweets. I also sometimes sip it throughout the afternoon to decrease the likelihood I’ll dive into those cartons of Ben and Jerry’s we have hidden in the freezer.
- Oregano – While Oregano certainly makes you smell like a pizza, it’s a must in the Bolte medicine cabinet. In about three weeks, this little pizza-y oil cleared up three stubborn warts I had been trying to get rid of for years. While initially it was more expensive than wart treatments I had used in the past, I still have a ton of it left and will be utilizing to tackle any we encounter in the future. This was so much cheaper and effective than buying other wart treatments.
- Frankincense – Because it’s a bit pricey than other oils, we didn’t purchase Frankincense for a long time. However a little of this oil goes a very long way, so I was happy we finally invested. In my research, we’ve found that a lot of people use Frankincense for skin health. We put 10 drops of this and 10 drops of lavender to a cup of coconut oil to clear up rashes, burns, and very dry skin. I had treated two warts on my fingers with oregano oil, but it wasn’t until I added Frankincense to the routine that the little buggers cleared up. We love it.
- Lemon – Not only does lemon oil taste delicious in an icy glass of water, it also is good for you! Lemon oil has been shown to boost one’s metabolism and mood. I love the strong scent of lemon, the refreshing taste, and I always feel a bit less bloated when I add it to a glass of water. We also use lemon oil for cleaning. In addition to starring in my makeup brush cleaning routine, it’s often featured in the bathroom and kitchen here – especially when scrubbing at tough, sticky messes.
- Lavender – Lavender was my first essential oil purchase and will always have a special place in my heart. In the Bolte house, we use lavender oil for skin treatments. Working at the bagel shop, I frequently come home with burns from the oven and I always put a drop of lavender on the wound to soothe the burn. In the summertime, we find it helps take the itchy burn out of bug bites. I also find the scent to be de-stressing and will often rub it on my forehead or diffuse it after a long day.
- Bloom Natural’s Spot Treatment – I stumbled upon this oil blend a few months ago and it has completely changed my face cleaning routine. I’ve battled a combination of acne and dry skin for years. With Bloom Natural’s Spot Treatment little pimples and tough dry spots disappear in a just a few days. I typically swipe it across my T-zone every morning and night. Ryan who has been graced with much better skin only uses it as a spot treatment for acne when needed. Either way, in its little roll on bottle, it has been a total game changer in our morning routines.
- Thieves – Thieves is a Young Living blend that can help support a healthy immune system. Nearly every night of this winter, one or the both of us rubs a drop of this on our feet in hopes to combat off colds. Thieves is also often used as a household cleaner. When we first moved into our apartment we diffused this oil for a few days to get rid of the musty smell the previous owners left. This one has a nice clove scent and reminds me of fall and holiday baking. You can’t complain about that on a cold Minnesota night.
Katelyn’s Pick: Progessence Plus – Progessence Plus is designed to help make a woman’s life easier. As a young woman, my hormones are often all over the board. Sometimes they’ll lead me to break out, give me headaches, nausea, or moodiness, and other not so desirable issues. Placing a drop of Progessence Plus on my temples or wrists is not only relaxing, but I believe it helps balance out those hormones so I can enjoy more of my days. When I include this in my routine for a few days a month, it makes the effects of my cycle so much less dramatic.
Ryan’s Pick: M-Grain – M-Graine is a blend designed to ease the pain of a migraine. As soon as Ryan feels a migraine coming on, he places a few drops of this on his forehead and neck. He claims this takes the sharp pain out of a migraine, and if utilized soon enough can prevent him from getting sick and missing a day of work.
Do you use essential oils? What ones can you not live without?
Interested in learning more about oils? I’d love to give you some more information!
The information in this post is based on my research and personal use of Young Living Essential Oils and Bloom Essential Products. Products and techniques mentioned have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Read the full disclosure/disclaimer.